History

Samuel Dearing, a wealthy dairy farmer choose Augustus Gauger to design a Grand Home on the bluffs overlooking downtown Saint Paul. Gauger, who as a young architect, designed the Bank of Farmington in 1879 and quickly became the architect to the St. Paul board of education and designed  Douglas, Franklin, Longfellow and RIce Schools in St. Paul.

 

He designed numerous Stately Homes in Saint Paul including a number of Home on Summit Ave. Gauger’s reputation was national. He designed businesses, churches, courthouses, homes, and schools in California, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North and South Dakota, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, Washington and Wisconsin. Augustus Gauger died in February 1929 and is buried at Oakland Cemetery in St. Paul. He ranks as one of Minnesota’s great architects

                                                                                Portions of above biography from geocities.ws





















The Dearing residence was built on the bluffs across the river from downtown and much of the land around the home was grazing pasture for Dearing’s prize dairy cattle. As economic times became tough Dearing sold off much of the land around the estate as Saint Paul grew. The Dearing family lived in the home until 1905 when they moved to California.


































Farmington Area Historical Society

The building has gone through some rough times and at one time was divided into four apartments. After a multi-year-restoration the property has been lovingly restored to it’s former glory.